Inspired by Cyndi Lauper’s hit song and starring a (now) epic cast that includes Sarah Jessica Parker, Helen Hunt, Jonathan Silverman, and Shannen Doherty, Girls Just Want to Have Fun is the tale of girls who just want to have fun. That’s all they really want—some fun. But their quest be fun to watch? Only the Scorecard can tell you.
- We get right into the sweet choreography. That’s what we want out of an ‘80s movie. = +8pts
- The TV show with all the dancing is called Dance TV. Not exactly inspired. = -1pt
- Neon socks with silver character shoes. OH YES. =+2pts
- “Velcro. Next to the Walkman and Tab, it is the coolest invention of the 20th Century.” In one line, Helen Hunt sums up the spirit of the ‘80s. = +3pts
- The rich girl is introduced with music worthy of a low-budget porno, with acting to match. = -3pts
- Jeff’s signature dance move is spinning around while he snaps his finger. = +7pts. (For making us all feel like we could qualify for Dance TV.)
- Are they going to play porn music every time the rich girl shows up? = -2pts
- Jeff’s friends are making fun of his dance partner going to Catholic school, with most jokes directed at her uniform. Little do they know that, in about 15 years, that’s going to be their greatest fantasy. = -1pt
- Let’s invite all the freaks in town to the rich girl’s party. Guy with mohawk, check. Cross dresser, check. Guy on roller skates, check. = +6pts (This is pretty much with the last Scorecard contributors’ holiday party looked like.)
- A guy is dancing with a CHICKEN on his FOOT! OK, this is pretty much minute for minute what the last Scorecard contributors’ holiday party looked like. Eerie. = +1pt
- It’s a dance montage! They’re working together! They’re dancing well, complete with body doubles who look nothing like them! = +25pts
- “Not everyone needs to warm up.” “YES THEY DO.” “Oh, excuse me. I forgot you were also the foremost authority on warming up.” = -7pts
- Jeff’s dad is concerned about how the Chicago Bears are going to play this year. “This year” is 1985. = -1pt (For not being psychic.)
- Jeff managed to get his signature spinning-and-snapping move into the routine. And that’s the move his dad points out to his friends. = -2pts.
- There’s gonna be a dance off! A DANCE OFF! THIS—THIS RIGHT HERE—is why the '80s were the best movie decade ever. = +30pts
- The dorky kid gets to save the day. = +1pt
- “Let’s do it.” We hope SJP used that line in her audition reel for Sex and the City. = +1pt
- We know we’re supposed to be excited for Janey and Jeff, but when is a rich girl going to get a break? Screw this. We’re gonna go watch Heathers. = -2pts.
Available on: Netflix streaming
This film delivers exactly what its title promises. But unlike Snakes on a Plane or Cowboys and Aliens, it delivers so much more. We’re sure it’s not just girls who will have fun watching this ‘80s gem. We defy you to find one person who isn’t spinning and snapping by the time the credits roll.
Score Technician: Erika Grotto