The prison group’s final showdown with The Governor left them sans both a nemesis and a home, scattered (seemingly) to the four winds. Can AMC provide the survivors with a path forward through the rubble without losing any of the momentum or goodwill built up from last year’s explosive mid-season finale? We let the nanobots decide.
- Some new pets for Michonne. = +5pts
- It’s a measure of Michonne’s respect for Hershel that she dislodges his severed head from her katana with her hand and not her foot. = +7pts
- Not even Rick’s best Batman impersonation can get Carl to slow the pace of his walking. = +4pts
- Hey, Carl, the fact that society has collapsed under the weight of the nigh-endless waves of ambulatory cadavers doesn’t give you license to use that sailor talk. = -2pts
- Holy shit, Michonne’s dream. = +16pts
- Carl puts down three walkers single-handed. = +9pts
- …But doesn’t quite have the chops to pull off the “telling off my comatose dad” scene convincingly. = -4pts
- Post-apocalypse faux pas: Michonne and the female zombie alongside her show up to a herd gathering with the same hair style/vacant stare. = +3pts
- Also, with no solicitation from this technician whatsoever, the nanobots have spit out a fanfic short involving Michonne and her zombie doppelganger. = +8pts (It gets pretty steamy about four pages in.)
- Carl’s running start at the locked front door. = +5pts
- Carl comes down with a sudden spell of “shooting like a storm trooper.” = -3pts
- …But he still taunts the zombie who almost got him by eating a giant can of pudding on the house’s awning, just out of its reach. = +6pts
- Ending of the episode lands on just the wrong side of the “important character epiphany/The More You Know PSA from the ‘80s” divide. = -12pts
Season Score = +190pts
Even though the episode ended on a bit of a heavy-handed note, it was a pretty fine way to kick things off again. The nanobots are eager to check in with the rest of the survivors in the coming weeks.